Monday, April 21, 2008

The Time Machine – Book Review

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

I feel like I’m reading more this year than I have in my entire life. I’m trying to mix it up so it was time to go back to the classics.

Funny how the main appeal of this book was it’s length, only 90 pages, broken into 12 sections.

The story is very science fiction, which isn’t really my area of interest. I was sceptical from the start, but was willing to give it a fair dinkum crack.

I enjoyed reading it and was drawn into its story line as the professor told it to his dinner guests.

Written in 1895 it is the story of a scientist from that era traveling into the future to the year 802,701. Traveling to such a distant time allowed Wells to create an alternate imaginative reality. Although far fetched it probably will have an essence of truth. The scientist initially finds a peaceful species, called the Eloi, that can’t understand his language and are childishly afraid of the dark.

We find that they have a very good reason to be afraid of the dark as in the underground tunnels lurks the sinister Morlocks. It is this species that steals the time traveller’s machine. Most of the story is his adventures and discoveries to find and recover his machine in order to return to his own era.


No comments: