Friday, April 03, 2009

Impatient Driving Irritates Me

Most of my working life is spent on the road. Hence I see a lot of good and bad driving. Unfortunately it is the bad driving that most sticks out. What I notice most is the impatient driving. The people that seem to be in such a hurry to get somewhere that the safety of all other drivers takes a lower priority.

Impatient driving takes many forms. Mainly darting in and out of traffic with reckless abandon. Speeding up the vacant left lane is another, when they could just wait briefly for the slower vehicles to move over.

Does impatient driving achieve anything, as usually impatient drivers are waiting at the next set of traffic lights with the rest of us.

Suggestions:
  • Be content with the speed limit
  • Choose a lane and stick to it
  • Keep a gap around you to avoid crashes
  • Think about the comfort of your passengers
  • Never drive angry
  • Don’t rush, as nothing is ever that important. Look at the big picture
  • An obvious one – don’t answer your phone in the car. No call can be that important that you are willing to put your life in danger

I am irritated for a short moment, but quickly get over it. Can’t let stupid drivers affect my cruise to my destination.

But today (7/4), as if to confirm my point of angry and impatient driving having no place on the road, I got abused by a truck driver for going too slow (in his opinion) despite having a patient in the back with a possible fractured hip. Of course after passing me he didn't speed off into the sunset, he was stuck in the same line of traffic a few cars ahead of me. I ask, is it all really worth it?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the left lane is fastest in Sydney to travel in as eveyone thinks they are speedy gonzales in the right lane, and the middle lane is for the safety's staying under the speed limit. My mood before I get into a car determines how I act on the road. If angry, fast, if chilled then slow and steady wins the race, but then when slowing down at traffic lights, I save my brake pads by slowing with plenty of space to spare, only to find someone jumps in my gap, it's crap!!

Tim Haynes said...

Thanks anonymous for adding another suggestion to my list - Never drive angry. You are being part of the problem by driving angry and accidents are more likely to occur. If you haven't had one by now it's more by good luck than good management.