Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Titans – Book Review

“Titans” by Michael Stephens

This is a children’s book that I won in 1993 for an essay I wrote on vandalism and it has taken me this long to read it. If it weren’t a prize then I probably would have sent it to the local church fete.

As a child I was never a big reader of books and preferred Roald Dahl or Paul Jennings anyway. That is if I wasn’t reading the latest footy magazine.

It’s a shame I didn’t read it earlier as it actually is a pretty good story. It’s hard to appreciate it fully now as an adult as I haven’t thought like a child for a long time.

It had suspense and adventure, two great features in a book for a young boy. Dahl and Jennings were masters at it.

The good thing with reading a children’s book is that it takes next to no time to read it. Despite being 150 pages it had large writing with generous spacing as well as the odd illustration. I still prefer Dahl or Jennings, mainly because I had grown up with them. But this book is definitely a keeper and will take it’s rightful place alongside the Dahl and Jennings collection for future Haynes generations to read.


No comments: