Monday, February 01, 2010

Introduction to Matthew Reilly

“Hell Island” by Matthew Reilly



This book was originally an impulse buy. I was at Dymocks purchasing another book when I saw this on the counter. I had heard of Reilly’s reputation but wasn’t sure if I would be keen on his books. I figured that instead of buying one of his 500 page novels that this 100-page novella would be a great introduction. Plus it was only $5.

It still took me a while to read it. It became one of my on the job books as it fit nicely in my pocket. It quickly became a book that I couldn’t put down.

As I told my colleague what was happening the premise of the book sounded familiar to him. It didn’t matter that the plot was slightly spoilt, as it was about the journey Reilly took me as the reader.

Like any good suspenseful story there were twists throughout the book to keep me guessing what was to happen. I had a suspicion that the main character, nicknamed ‘Scarecrow’, would win out at the end but I had to wait until the last few pages to know for sure.

I’m not sure if this novella is still available or if it was just a special promotion. However upon reading this book I will move onto his full-length books.

1 comment:

Elise Corless said...

I have a couple of his books, you're welcome to borrow them.