Monday, May 10, 2010

Groovy Worship Music

I am different when it comes to music in church. I have played in multiple church bands yet could now do without music altogether. Especially with the increase of performance based music, singing at the congregation rather than leading them in signing praise to God. I still like this music, in a concert or playing through my iPod.

There is one church band that I have found purely by accident when surfing through the Mars Hill Church website. Their ‘music’ link shows various bands that play at their campuses as well as the many bands that have since retired. One such band is aptly named The Mars Hillbillies.

Their sound is very bluegrass. Not everyone’s cup of tea I know, but I have really been getting into it lately.

Check it out for yourself here. While there check out the diverse range of bands from other genres. There is something to please everyone.


3 comments:

Alison said...

Yeah, that is groovy music! I especially enjoyed Psalm 63 (apart from the intro that reminded me of the Wiggles).

Matt Redman has a great book about being lead worshippers, not worship leaders, focusing on pointing people to God, not performing as you've highlighted. I think it is good for us to seek to offer God our best though and hopefully that's the motive for a lot of worship teams. Though as sinful people, unfortunately our motives often get confused.

Aaron T said...

couldn't agree with you more. I find it difficult if the band is performing instead of leading in singing. Give the glory to God! Though I think music in church is important as it does open hearts to worship and wanting to praise God. Admittedly it has taken me a while to realise this.

Meaghan said...

Sadly, over the years church musicians have lost discernment in recognising the fine balance between enthusiasm and performance. This is something I am conscious of every week, singing for and with my church congregation. At one point a few months ago, I was pulled up by my pastor because I got exuberant in my praise, and "the church is not ready for that". It has been somewhat of a burden since then, as I consider myself a passionate worshipper, and I now find myself, rather than concentrating on helping people to sing, and giving praise to my God, thinking, 'is that too much? Will they think I'm performing?' I have to say, I'm rather ashamed that I have allowed myself to be put in a box like this. I wholeheartedly agree that the church stage, during worship and musical worship especially, is not a place for ego and fame, but it is a place for surrendering one's gifts to God and letting Him use them to the very last drop for His glory. I have to understand that, if this means a little bit of jumping, improvised singing, or my hand in the air, so be it. (I have known some churches, though, that practise these things beforehand. That, I have to say, defeats the whole purpose of public worship, which should be spontaneous and Spirit-led!)