Sunday, May 01, 2011

Thunderbolt Kid




Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid
By Bill Bryson

There are not many authors whose books I purchase purely based on reputation. Bryson had me hooked with his travel memoirs called ‘Down Under’, obviously about Australia, and ‘A Walk In The Woods’ about a famous walking trail in north-eastern USA. Those were read prior to this blogging sensation. More recently I have read Bryson’s ‘Shakespeare’. He has written many other travel and historical books that I hope to read in good time.

‘Thunderbolt Kid’ is different because it is purely autobiographical. His primary topic is himself. His trademark wit is evident but I wouldn’t rate it as highly as his other books. The subject matter was still interesting as he describes the strange naivety of children in a rural midwestern town. It is such an eye opener to our way of living these days.

Although reading about his upbringing it does become obvious why he turned out to be a writer. Especially one with a unique sense of humour. He had journalist parents with interesting idiosyncracies, and a wickedly random imagination. The title of this book is evidence of that.

I still enjoyed reading it but it wont be one that I would read again. It won’t stop me buying and recommending Bill Bryson as a fantastic author.

No comments: