Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Vibe

In politics it seems if someone is against a certain method then it’s assumed that they are also against the desired outcome.

Example 1
I am all for technological advancement.  BUT I am against the government’s wasteful and negligent spending on the NBN.  They bypassed a cost benefit analysis and were reluctant to deal with the private sector.

Example 2
I am all for increased funding of schools.  BUT I’m against it being regarded as a silver bullet.  Funding is part of the solution while other areas like increasing teacher quality and principal autonomy are ignored largely due to union pressure.

Example 3
I am all for a humanitarian program for asylum seekers.  BUT I’m against a criminal making thousands of dollars off each passenger to board leaky vessels and overwhelm our immigration system.  It slows down the process for genuinely persecuted people seeking asylum.

No comments: