Saturday, January 06, 2007

House-Sitting

I house-sat for a week over the Christmas/New Year period. I have house-sat a couple of times at this same house. I like to take this opportunity when it is given to me because I use it as an experiment to see how I would cope if I were to move out of the family home.

I like to look at my ability to live without the little luxuries to which I have become accustomed. I ask myself, can I live without such things as:
  • Mum’s cooking
  • Cable Television
  • Air Conditioning
  • Clothes washing/ironing
  • The Internet

Mum’s cooking
I have always had an interest in cooking and have become very competent in the kitchen. I think it came from going food shopping with mum for many years. As well as watching some cooking shows on TV, my favourite TV chef being Ainslie Harriot, from Ready Steady Cook among other shows.

Cable Television
This is going to be hard, as I have found some shows I like to watch and it would be nice to be able to continue watching them. Although a detachment from Cable Television has been made easier with the new AFL TV rights deal.
The last time I house-sat this place, the TV wasn’t even working which was disastrous. I had to go home straightaway and bring back one of our really small old TV’s.

Air Conditioning
We haven’t had it too easy at home regarding air conditioning. For years we only had one room that would stay pretty cool on its own even on the hottest days. Now we have ducted air conditioning for upstairs so we can get to sleep easier on the warm nights. I can’t get to sleep when it’s warm, so if I can’t get a bit of cooling then it may pose a problem.

Clothes Washing and Ironing
I haven’t had to stay in the house long enough to require doing my own washing but I already acknowledge that this will be an issue for me and a continual struggle.

The Internet
Everyone has broadband by now surely. Once you go broadband you can’t go back. I would struggle with dial up and even worse I would go mental without the internet altogether. It’s a good thing then that at this house they have wireless broadband.

Overall verdict:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mate,
If you had spent more time at Beach Mission, the internet was only a wifi mouse click away... It would have even worked on your mac!

Cheers.
G.