Thursday, January 25, 2007

Have A Beer Not A Whine

Many times recently I have heard people whinging and virtually blaming the government (be it state, federal or local) for the state of affairs in their certain area of interest. Some examples might be:
Of course some of these are very serious issues but to think a government is doing nothing about them is naïve and stupid. Sometimes they could do a lot more but of course someone with a vested interest in a particular area is always going to blame the government for not doing enough.

Where is the line drawn between blaming the government and personal responsibility for your situation? For instance, I don’t believe it is the government’s responsibility to make sure that I can afford to buy or rent a house, but some people would make you think that it is. Interest rates are going up for reasons I have already stated in a previous post.

I would love the government’s help in a lot of issues, but do I really need it. And by blaming the government would I really be putting all my faith in God? By focussing on the government’s perceived lack of attention the whiners are losing focus of the bigger picture, because in the long run it is all meaningless.

I believe people expect too much from the government. It’s like they consider running the country or state an easy job and that the prime minister or premier should be able to address every single minor issue that is spewed in their direction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see this becoming something of a thorny discussion...

As a State government worker, I deal with complaints that my department is not doing 'its job'. Often, in these cases, what people define as 'my job' is really not my job, but more 'what I want from the Department'. This is, I think, what you're talking about, Tim? That is, people assuming what the government can and cannot do for them as individuals, and then judging them on those assumptions.

However, in some of those examples, there is some responsibility of the government to look after its citizens. This usually takes the form of policy- and law-making, which is enacted and enforced by its various arms and departments. With regards to water shortages, for example, I think the State government has a responsibility to plan effectively and provide directions and restrictions on water usage. However, the people also have a responsibility to abide by those directions and restrictions.

Anonymous said...

Onya Hammer! Have a beer not a whine. The pool footy post on my blog has been updated and has even awarded an MVP award. Check it out at http://au.360.yahoo.com/timcampbell_45

Tim Campbell.