Saturday, May 03, 2008

Embarking on Umpiring

This year I had decided not to play footy after having a horror year with quad injuries in which I only managed to play 3 games. It wasn’t until late in the pre season that I decided to attend a training night to become an official club umpire.

The Club Umpire program is a new initiative by the AFL in which each club needs to provide an umpire for certain grades. I like the program as it creates a manageable step for former players and others to have a go at umpiring before taking the leap and joining the umpiring squad.

I have since completed 2 games and have a new understanding and an appreciation for the job of umpiring. It is bloody hard!! So think twice before abusing match officials. Consider how you would like to cop abuse and how you would go making all the decisions. I find myself sticking up for the umpires a lot more now when watching on from the sidelines and dubious calls arise.

Yes I get some decisions wrong, but ultimately I am new to the caper and am trying my best. If everyone were to give this a go I think there would be much more respect for umpires.

No comments: