Sunday, June 22, 2008

Getting It Eventually

Been watching BBC comedy Yes Minister lately. It was originally screened in the UK in 1980. But by the time it hit the Haynes Household it was the late 80’s / early 90’s. I remember brother Danny watching it incessantly and religiously. I was only about 10 so part of me wanted to be the annoying younger brother by not liking it and bagging it out profusely, just out of spite. Also, his laugh was so loud that it hurt my ears when I dared to step into the same room. Above all that, I just didn’t get it

I wasn’t really into politics at the time and the humour was too grown up for me. The subtleties would usually fly right over my head if I were to try and persevere with a viewing. Also the sets were very dull and dreary, but it was the 80’s.

But now, I thought I’d give Yes Minister another chance, without Danny in the room to at least give my ears a break. I’m into politics a bit more now (in case you haven’t noticed) so the subtleties sink in instead of being lost on me. Most importantly, I am finding it very funny. Probably a reason why it is so funny is that it is closer to the truth than people might think.

For a homegrown version, check out the ABC series Grass Roots. Based on the behind the scenes of a local council.


No comments: