Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Bachelor Cooking

I cop a bit of criticism for my simple and somewhat unimaginative method of cooking. I stand by my method for 2 reasons:
  1. I am a bloke – so no need to complicate things
  2. I am cooking for one – a difficult enough task for anyone

My pantry comprises of a few dinner essentials

  • Packets – Dinner bases as well as pasta and rice side dishes
  • Jars – Pasta sauces, Indian Sauces, or any other sauce that comes in a jar. Options are endless
  • Tins – Tomatoes, Baked Beans, Soups
  • Frozen Veges – Seems to get added to everything I make. Never had fresh veges in my possession.

Every now and then I do a big cook up to store and freeze meals ready to take for lunch. One recent cook up involved 2 kg’s of mince and 20 meal size portions. I even invested in a separate freezer to house these meals until they get to be enjoyed.

Particular favourites include:
  • Spag Bol
  • Chilli Con Carne
  • Butter Chicken
In the end, isn't it just great that I'm a bloke who can cook something for himself??



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim

Watch those packets & bottle mixes. They are full of salt....not good for future high blood pressure!

Love Auntie Sue X

Unknown said...

My sisters gave me a slow cooker last year for my birthday. The best gift ever for a busy single who is tired of mac and cheese with a tin of tuna and frozen peas stirred in. Just pop everything in, and make 14 single serve portions of, say, lamb curry then dinner only takes as long as the rice.

Cheers,
Kim