Saturday, December 04, 2010

Panicky Parents

Perhaps I need children of my own to gain some perspective. I’m hoping I won’t be as worrisome as a lot of parents whose young children I attend.

Most of the infants we get called to seem to be suffering from normal baby ailments such as vomiting, blocked nose, coughing, fevers. But just because they are unable to verbalise their discomfort the parents go straight for worst case scenario and call an ambulance.

Most times we transport just because it is easier to give peace of mind to these parents than convincing them there is nothing wrong, from what we can see.

I'm hoping that my knowledge from this job will be an asset rather than a burden. I've seen how fragile life can be, but then I’ve also seen how resilient the human body can be.

Babies are precious but as with most of our cases a little bit of common sense goes a long way.

2 comments:

Danny Haynes said...

The parents could be thinking it is better to avoid the unlikely catastrophic event. Better to go to the hospital a few too many times and be wrong, than not go and face a death.

Tim Haynes said...

If it's hospital you want then load up the child seat and go. These parents take it a step further and call an ambulance, an emergency service which most times isn't required.