Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Church Sports Organisations

Why is it that I have witnessed the worst acts of sportsmanship while playing in Church sporting competitions? I have played for three years of cricket with Greystanes Churches and this year playing soccer for Wenty Uniting. Of course it is always a rogue element that are bad sports. But their bad are worse than any other competition I have played in. Something else that is scary is that it is usually the one that calls the two teams to have a pre match prayer that is the worst sport in their team.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I grew up playing for Wenty Uniting.

We mainly played the Churches league because they didn't play on Sunday. I'd agree it was tough and rough, but probably no more than the secular league.

We never prayed before games.

One thing I appreciated about the church teams I played in was a willingness to give everyone a go regardless of skill.

Tim Haynes said...

Maybe it's just that I expect poor sportsmanships more from secular competitions. So when it happens in a church comp it sticks out

Anonymous said...

Having played a lot of sport in general community comps occassionaly when i was younger and fitter (many years ago) i would be asked to sub for a christain team through a friend and i was generally amased at how bad it was. I have no explanation but the aittudes and behaviours were worse than anything i had experienced before. My take was the umpiring and the referring was of a much lower standard in church comps... other than that i got nothing

Tim Haynes said...

I agree regarding the umpiring. Some of them are so old I doubt whether they are still able to see the play anymore. But they don't get paid even a nominal fee, so what can you expect for nothing eh.

I was considering going into AFL umpiring next year instead of playing, but with the amount of abuse they cop it will have to be given careful consideration, but that's a whole new blog

Anonymous said...

whats even worse is that i hit the post and we had a goal disallowed its truly a travesty of justice!!