Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Dixie Chicks

I have previously been embarrassed to talk about this (due to an unprecedented amount of ribbing), but not anymore. I am now proud to admit that I am a Dixie Chicks fan.

What is there not to like about them. To start with they are all beautiful, but there’s more. Each of them can play an array of instruments (that’s right, not just one) as well as being able to sing fantastically and harmonise with each other.

So what if they do have a multitude of serious “Chick Anthems.” Some examples are:
  • Goodbye Earl
  • Ready to Run
  • Cowboy Take Me Away
  • Wide Open Spaces – possibly their most popular and their first major hit worldwide
  • The Long Way Around – from their new album
I’d say all girls could relate to some aspect of all these songs and many others in their now quite vast catalogue.

You have to admire their song writing. They put their heart on their sleeve, as is shown with their new album, “Taking the Long Way.” My favourite song from this album is called, “Not Ready to Make Nice.” It is a provocative stab at all the controversy that happened after some remarks by lead singer, Natalie Maines. People were boycotting their music and even sending death threats. There are some real uptight Americans, must be all that junk food. They are now releasing a Documentary Movie call “Shut Up and Sing.” To be released early 2007

Our family went to see them in concert for the second time and they don’t disappoint. We sat front on to the stage on the second tier. I found myself watching the big screen sometimes even though I could easily see everyone on stage. Simply put, it was worth the money (that dad spent).

The newly renamed ACER Arena is a top venue and the music sounded great. I thought with a bigger venue wreak havoc with the sound but the technicians worked some sort of magic as only they know how.

It felt kind of awkward going with mum and dad. It’s hard to really get into anything with them there. But then again, Dad payed for the tickets, so I appreciate that.

2 comments:

Prisca said...

Glad to see that you are man enough to admit that you like the Dixie Chicks - I'm envious that you went to the concert. Did you buy any merchandise there?

Tim Haynes said...

I was disapponted with the merchandise so ended up not getting anything. All the best designs for blokes were on black T shirts and I really don't like black. Any colour and i would have bought up.