Saturday, December 09, 2006

Memoirs of a Generalist

I have this problem when it comes to what I am going to do with myself as far as an occupation is concerned. I have already been involved in two occupations post Uni. I have also been involved and/ or interested in other occupations during school.

Journalism – I did a journalism subject in Primary School as part of the Holroyd Achievers program (with a young K Corless – unbeknownst to me at the time). I enjoy writing, this blog is proof of that and I think I could be good at it. Especially if this writing involves AFL. But jobs in this field are very competitive and you have to be very driven.

Physiotherapy – I did work experience with a physiotherapist. I thought it was what I wanted to do. Then I was told I would have to do two science subjects in Year 11/12, and then get 90+ UAI, which just wasn’t going to happen. On top of that the course is very theory oriented before you get to do any practical application. I can use my current Undergrad degree to get into a M Physio but I’m kind of glad to see the back of my Uni days, especially the studying aspect.

TV Production / Camera Operator– My introduction into movie making via iMovie sparked this interest in a possible career. But it’s not really a passion, otherwise I think I would have a camera in my hand 24/7.

Sports Administration – I was almost going to get into something relating to this at Uni. I had received an early acceptance from UWS to do a B Business Admin, with the hope of using this to get into Sports Admin. Then I realised I wouldn’t enjoy being behind a desk all day.

PE Teaching – I was certain this was what I wanted to do for the long term. I liked sport, I enjoy and know a lot about the theory side and apparently I was good at dealing with teens. One year later I wondered whether I was good at all. Five years at Uni for this? Granted I was at a “not so good” school, but there were no other jobs on offer. I had a total of two interviews from private schools from about 20 – 30 to which I had applied. One job on offer had 80+ applicants. How can a newby compete with that?

Sports Coaching – This was done in primary schools on a casual basis. If I was offered a salary then I would probably still be doing this. Instead it was hourly rates. I enjoyed only having a class for 30 – 60 mins and then bringing in new batch for the same lesson. By the 5th lesson you’ve pretty much got it down.

Patient Transport – enjoy being on the road and seeing behind the scenes of hospitals. It also offers one of my favourite traits, the ability to leave the work behind once you have finished. Nothing extra to do, nothing to take home to prepare for the next day or week. You show up, do your work and go home. There is also little stress as we are able to do the jobs in our time, no need for rushing. That being said I don’t think I can do this long term. I am a creature of routine but eventually I get sick of one routine and need something new.

Ambulance Officer – In many ways I can’t see myself taking the obvious next step from being a PTO. I have already said I don’t like being in a rush. Being an Ambulance officer involves a lot of rushing around (in a controlled manner) and thinking on your feet. This possibly brings with it a bit of stress. Also I don’t think I could stomach the emergency scenes I may attend to and administering the IV drugs I will have to give.

So it appears that I’m good at a lot of things, but excel in nothing.

Amongst all this though Philippians 4:6 keeps ringing in my head.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God

1 comment:

Alison said...

now that's a verse i needed to hear... thanks Tim! from what i see now that it's a few years on, you've excelled in a lot of things. it's encouraging to read about the journey God's taken you on so far and how He's guided your steps, as i'm sure He'll continue to do as you walk with Him.

From a friend who like to learn not to rush. Sorry!