Saturday, December 16, 2006

Time For Change

Last week I made a very big and tough decision that perhaps I should have made ages ago:
  1. I withdrew my application for permanent employment to teach with DET, and as a flow on effect,
  2. I told the Teachers Federation that I would no longer require their services (never did really)
  3. I also told NSW Institute of Teachers that I don’t want to pay $20 admin fee during what they call a “leave of absence” when I won’t be teaching
All that felt quite liberating.

Of course this all means that I have become a statistic. Every new teacher has probably heard the spiel about 1 in 3 new teachers not making it past their first year. Well I’m that 1. In fact I almost didn’t make it to the end of my first year, I’m not sure if they have a statistic for that.

I had to really think about: Was it just this school or govt schools in general? If I just got a job at a better school would it make a difference? But then it’s hard to impress at an interview with that as your mindset.

I’m usually about options and having as many options available as possible, so being rid of the teaching option might seem like a strange move to make. But teaching was increasingly looking like being a bad option. It is a bit disappointing as I spent 5 years at Uni specifically to get into the profession of teaching only to have it send me to a particularly low point in my life. A low that I wish not to replicate ever again.

This action is a result of a recent contemplation regarding my teaching future. My former Deputy Principal from Greystanes High School got the Principal’s job at Westfield Sports High. This sparked my interest as I am well known to him and I thought he might be able to get me a job at there. As usual though mum gives me the harsh reality of what would be required as far as preparation, lesson planning, reports etc, and I’m brought down to earth with a thud. A much needed thud.

No comments: