Friday, February 22, 2008

Straight Between The Posts – Book Review

“Straight Between The Posts” by Frank Hyde with Ian Heads


I feel like I am making up for lost time. There are so many books with bookmarks implanted at various places in many of my books. This was one such book that was written in 1995 and bought me one Christmas by brother Danny. I attempted to read it for an English class the following year but to no avail. The class finished and so did my reading. The bookmark was to remain halfway for another 12 years.

I don’t know why it took me so long as it is a very easy read and just the sort of style I like. That is short chapters with largish writing. I am not one to sit down and have long reading sessions, I need small chunks so I can easily put it down and come back to it without missing a beat.

“Straight Between The Posts” is the autobiography of legendary Rugby League figure, Frank Hyde. Hyde had done it all in League starting with playing, coaching followed by refereeing, administrating and most famously, calling matches on the radio.

He was the pioneer of rugby league calling and paved the way for those that we listen to today, such as Ray Hadley. It was the largest facet of his involvement in the game that gave him so much. It gave much but he returned in spades. A man who was very grateful for his lot in life.

A great man and a great story. His passing last year was the finals chapter in an extraordinary life.

No comments: