Monday, October 26, 2009

Kiddy Christenings

This weekend there was a baptism at a previous church I was visiting. I was reminded of all the baptisms I had witnessed when I was a regular member of the congregation. What interests me most is that the families had not been seen prior to baptism and rarely had they been seen afterwards.

I would understand if parents want a celebration of the birth of a new child, and children purely are a blessing. But it’s baffling that parents would bring their child to a church they have never been to. In the prepared script they state that they want to bring this child up with faith in God when it seems they have no intention of being part of the church community. The congregation responds by saying they will help to raise this child as their church family.

If you want a party then you can have a civil celebrant perform a ‘naming ceremony’. Everyone can gather, meet the baby and have a good time together.

It is great that church welcomes all and ultimately there is nothing wrong with letting parents baptise their baby at a church, regardless of their previous or future attendance. Any firm stance on who can bring children for baptism would do more harm than good.

I just don’t understand the parent’s motivation.

2 comments:

B said...

hmmm Timmy....not sure this one is very far off being narrow minded if not a bit of a generalisation.

I would be considered 'one of those parents' that has christened her children in the church even though I am not a regular.

You need to keep in mind that not everyone's 'faith' is a mirror image of yours and even though people might not frequent church doesnt mean they have no faith either.

Christenings are an opportunity to introduce your children to the church and its community... too which my children will continue once in school (as this particular church is part of the school parish) and even though we do not frequent the church we are not heathens and still instill in our children alot of the morals and beliefs of the church. Should our children wish to attend once they are a bit older we will more than happily support this and even attend with them to support their decision.......

I am sure this may get a few people off side...however this is just my experience and I am very happy with it.

Lindsay said...

Let's not worry about what God thinks in all this, just as long as we are all "very happy with it".

LB