Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Not Bitten By The Travel Bug

I requested a book from travel company, Bunnik Tours, and received it in the mail yesterday. Despite the book being filled with great looking tours around various regions of the world nothing really excited me.

If I were to do one of their tours I would be traveling purely for the sake of it. There seems to be a perception that ‘society’ expects a young single bloke, like me, to get out and see the world (while he can). Yet the world doesn’t really interest me, at least not enough to travel for the sake of travel.

I have been overseas twice, both times to America. They were centred on a specific purpose. The first was an opportunity to work at a summer camp in Massachusetts. The second was an opportunity to play footy in America at their national championships against their national team. My inspiration and motivation to travel seems based around specific opportunities. If they work out then all well and good.

Maybe I’m boring or maybe it’s the simpler trips that excite me. For example:
  • Ride on the Indian Pacific to Perth with brother Danny
  • The PUFWE trips to Melbourne with friends in 2005, 2006 and 2007;
  • The house sit for friends in Melbourne that coincided with the Swans premiership in 2005
  • The ultimate football weekend in 2006
  • Visiting friends in Canberra and seeing the sights in 2008
  • The same day fly in / fly out trip to Melbourne to see Swans play the Hawks with a friend this year

Obviously going to Melbourne really excites me, and it’s more than just the thick presence of my favourite sport.

There is a common theme running throughout my trips. Even if overseas a main goal is to see a sporting event. In my trips to America I have seen minor league baseball in Bridgeport Connecticut and basketball in New York City.

Most tours are focused around scenery. I am usually after experiences, just check every post in my travel section. Although I did enjoy Niagara Falls, which is both scenery and an intense experience rolled into one. Although I could be converted if the ‘right’ person took me somewhere to appreciate scenery.


No comments: