Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Next Step

I can only hide behind being a ‘proby’ for so long. The first year has gone so quickly and reality set in quickly. It would soon be time to take the next step in my career. At this stage I also had to wrangle with the possibility of being sent rural. I got lucky though and was assigned to Parramatta. This information was dispensed on our first day back at the school. I was very grateful to stay in Sydney, to get a station 15 minutes from home was a bonus.

There were the expected anxieties amongst the class about the day one exam. I was confident as I had a full week of solid study prior to the exam. If I didn’t know it by then I would never know it. Others weren’t as confident. These people had to be avoided as they insisted on expressing their lack of confidence. I wasn’t going to let them wreck my confidence. Most of them ended up passing well anyway.

Everybody seemed more relaxed when practicing new assessable skills. Most of these skills would have been performed on road under the supervision of training officers. It was also reassuring to learn that the ‘as per skill’ element was relaxed and the main goal of the skill became the focus. Being able to practice cardiac arrest drills and splinting unsupervised was a great plus.

New theory had to be taken on board very quickly as it would become examinable within days. A familiarity with the lecturers helped with becoming sponges to new knowledge.

We had finally made it, no longer ‘probys’, but now there is nowhere to hide. It will be an interesting couple of years.


No comments: