Sunday, August 08, 2010

Other Dickson Books














“Hanging In There”

“Hell Of A Life”


by John Dickson


Both books were written in the late 1990’s and it became quickly evident that these books should have been read back then and not now. This is not Dickson’s fault, he produced a good book back then. Although his anecdotes do date the text firmly in the 90’s.

He states clearly in his introduction that these books will suit teenagers and young adults particularly if they are new to Christianity. Believe it or not, that describes me when? In the late 90’s.

I had read “Sneaking Suspicion” by John Dickson that seems a precursor to “Hanging in there”. The former has since been revised for a new batch of teens and young adults. It appears the other two are now lost in a time warp.

I persisted in reading these books because they had done the hard yards on my shelves for over 10 years. I felt they had deserved to be read. But now having read them it is difficult to recommend them to anyone. I even wonder if they are worth keeping. I'm glad I read them but I didn’t get a huge deal from them 13 years after the purchase.

If only I was into reading more than the Big League magazine back then.

No comments: