Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Shake Down the Thunder

“Shake Down the Thunder”Jim Main

The subject matter of this book is very close to my heart, being Swans loyal since 1993 (over half my life thus far). It is the history of the Swans from their move to Sydney in 1982 till tasting Premiership glory in 2005.

The author, Jim Main has been a Swans fan much longer than I have. He is a Footy journalist and an historian. He has written many books and also puts together a history of every player to have ever played the game. That is over 100 years of players, no easy task. He also has his own column in the Inside Football magazine, which comes out every Wednesday in all good Newsagents (only the good ones). He is therefore well credentialed to put together a book of this nature.

Jim’s extensive research in evident very early. He has interviewed over 100 people who were there at the time and who contribute their knowledge of the goings. No stone has been left unturned. I was expecting the style to be as if it was Jim telling us the history but instead it was excerts from all the “contributors.” I found this different and easy to read.

I am a Swans Nut but the book was still very informative. When all these dramas were starting I wasn’t even alive. If I had known the full extent of what was going on then I may not have become a fan. I exclaimed to Dad that perhaps our naivety was a good thing. My first ever Swans game was in 1993 during a very long losing streak. I had no idea of that fact at the time. The Swans won convincingly. The excitement after the siren had me hooked, Dad bought me my first ever jersey at that game (which I still have).

But I had no idea that I was a few votes away from supporting a completely different colour scheme. That’s right, Fitzroy almost came up here to create the Sydney Lions. A decision many Fitzroy fans now regret.

It’s a very easy read for anyone interested in the game. Of course I still think everyone should read it. You may even learn something.

No comments: