Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Introducing Netball

My Soccer games have been washed out a few times recently. What is sports nut to do with his free Saturday? How about go to the Netball? However, it helps if you have a particular someone to watch otherwise it may be considered a bit dodgy (for the blokes).

I was initially intimidated when first approaching the Netball courts as from a fair distance away you can easily hear the constant shrill of umpire’s whistle. This is something completely different to me. Most of my sports playing days there have been only one Footy field or one Cricket field. Here at the Netball there are at least 30 courts going at the same time. That equals a lot of females, hence my continued intimidation. Needless to say that I stayed relatively close to the one I was there to watch in the first place.

I can now watch Netball and appreciate the skill involved. People who downgrade this sport, mainly blokes, forget to take this into account. Even at this level (I don’t really know what level I was watching) it still takes a lot of skill to win.

I would, however, need a lot of convincing to ever get me on the court to play. I have vowed never to play Netball again after giving it a go in a Knockout Comp in Yr 12. The constant “obstruction” and “contact” calls killed any enjoyment I may have had. That and the fact that no-one on our team could shoot straight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Netball doesn't have much of a spectator following except by loved ones, but there must be something good about it as more women play netball in Aus than any other sport (lots of boys play too!). The reason some guys don't like the constant obstruction and contact calls is because they aren't skilled enough to control themselves.

Tim Haynes said...

Bagging blokes yet remaining anonymous. That's a bit weak isn't it?