Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Premature Aging

I am feeling old, and I’m only 25. This shouldn’t be the case as I am in my prime. What is going on?

I’ll tell you what’s going on. I enjoy playing footy, it’s one of my greatest past times. But in the last few years injuries have interrupted my seasons. Last year when I was playing soccer I could rarely finish a game because of constant hamstring strains.

This year I am back with the Goannas playing Aussie Rules. It is leading into round 5 this week and I am no closer to playing than before my latest injury, a partial tear to my quadricep muscle. That was way back in early April, just before the Easter weekend. Physiotherapy has been performed, for the last five weeks to be exact. Everything was going well, full range of movement had returned and it was feeling good. I go back to training and do some running. I go for a short kick and pop it goes again. Not as bad as the initial tear but I can just see the writing on the wall.

The writing says, “Give it away Tim, you’ve had your go, time to move on.” This is a huge dose of reality if ever I saw it. But if I didn’t play footy my fitness would blow out of all proportion, it is already fairly non-existent so I shudder to think what I would look like if it were to get much worse.

If I’m not playing what do I do? It’s usually a question asked by professional footballers. But I’m not, so it should be easier right? Wrong! When you enjoy playing it is still difficult to step away from it.

I am on record as saying I feel I can tell people how to play better than I can actually play. This is also a tough pill to swallow but I think I’ve already accepted that fact. Coaching Auskick is evident of that and further coaching is always an option.

I’m not giving up on this season just yet but big questions will be asked come seasons end.


No comments: