Monday, June 11, 2007

Life Lessons From Football Coaches


At least do something!! Do!!

Don’t think…..Don’t hope. Do!!!
At least you can come off and say I did this, I shepherded, I played on.
At least I did something.

John Kennedy
Hawthorn Coach 1960-1963, 1967-1976
Premiers 1961, 1971, 1976
Runners Up 1963, 1975

A true innovator of his time. A most respected man by everyone within his football club and from the rest of the competition. An educated man who knew how to get the most out of his players from his words.

The quote above is one that I like to utilise whenever I feel a little down in the dumps and perhaps a little lost and directionless.

I tend to over think things and not act on anything. As a result some opportunities pass me by and I end up regretting my non-action.

At least do something. Don’t get stuck in a rut that will be increasingly difficult to crawl out of. Don’t get stuck too much in a routine that you become inflexible to change.

Any sign of procrastination and I have mum shouting at me, “Just DO something!” So just do something even if it's not quite what you want to be doing, at least it is something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I want you to give me all the guts and determination that you've got left in you. I want you to give it everything".

E.J. Whitten

This quote is along the same lines as J.K.'s mate, and from a similar era. Some say that you can still hear the voice of John Kennedy down at Glenferrie on cold winter nights.

Tim Haynes said...

I believe it goes:

"I want you to give me all the guts and determination that you've got left in your body. I want you to inspire me."

But I'm just being picky:)

As for hearing Kennedy at Glenferrie. He's not dead so he can't be haunting the place but why wouldn't they pull out some old recordings for a bit of added motivation?

John told them to pummel Carlton, and they did.