Saturday, November 03, 2007

One Year On

I have now been working with the Ambulance Service NSW for just over a year as a Patient Transport Officer. It was my first major career change since starting out as a PE Teacher in secondary schools. It was not a career change that showed much foresight, as I was never sure whether I wanted to take the only chance for advancement and apply to become a Level 1 Ambulance Officer. That hesitation says to me that I shouldn’t take that step as it is one of those occupations that you need to be passionate about. No use trying it out just to see what it would be like, as lives are at stake.


Over the year I have learnt a lot. Mainly about hospital and nursing home locations and also how they work. I also get to know many nurses personally, especially at our regular stops such as Westmead discharge lounge.

I joke around with mum that I know the best nursing homes for her to be put in if that time should come. Of course I wouldn’t want it to come as even the best nursing homes can be very depressing places.

So where to now if I’m not going to AO's? Well I felt that I was being led back into teaching. However finding PE teaching jobs in Sydney is continually hard and the market is still very competitive. I may have to be satisfied with my lot as a PTO for an extended period. Unless another twist and turn comes along to take me on another journey.

No comments: