Friday, March 12, 2010

Indoctrination

Was up early one Saturday morning after a rigorous night shift. By chance I caught some of Good Morning America. On it was a story about a couple going threw what appeared to be a very bitter divorce settlement. They have a 3-year-old daughter together

The woman had it stipulated in the settlement that her husband not take their daughter to church while she was in his custody. The father thinking this was utterly ridiculous went on to take his daughter to church. Now the mother wants to take him to court and send him to jail.

When asked why she doesn’t like her daughter going to church, she said that she “fears the indoctrination” of the church.

If you are gong to endorse such a hard line approach with church then you could really apply it anywhere. Parents bring up their children to have values resembling their own. This could be viewed as indoctrination. I want my kids to grow up with an appreciation for sports, especially AFL and my beloved Swans. Is this indoctrination and if so is it even a bad thing?

So really her beef is that she wants to indoctrinate the child with her ideas and not those of her ex husband. But because the justice system is so skewed towards the women the father gets royaly kicked up the bum.

I’d say it’s all about the method employed. I grew up in a Christian home but never felt pressured or indoctrinated into Christianity. I found it by myself with help from very supportive and helpful parents.

I fear that this little girl’s life is already messed due to her parent’s madness.


No comments: