Monday, May 22, 2006

Footy Season Do’s

There was a debate early last season after an AFL player was going to miss a game to attend his brothers wedding. He ended up missing the wedding to honour his contract. We also hear occasionally of professional athletes sticking around while their pregnant wives give birth. If football wives could plan when they give birth I think they might. But parties are much easier to plan. So why have them conflict with a game?? Apart from the obvious inconvenience it is promoting a sedentary lifestyle by segregating your footy playing buddies in social circles.

If there was a party during footy season that collided with one of my games, I would have to say I would decline. However it has never come up as yet so I don’t really know how I would react in such a conundrum. There have been some do’s on a Saturday night, which is achievable and much preferable.

I was disappointed enough when not one, but two friends had their wedding during the AFL finals series, one of them on Grand Final Day. Although Sydney weren’t playing it is still a must see for any supporter. I sacrificed, but compensated for the lack of television by checking the scores on my phone constantly. Don’t worry, it was on silent.

So I guess this is a word of advice for those organising parties. Consider your football playing friends (of any code) and don’t organise things such as a Saturday arvo barbie, wait till the evening. Or better still, don’t plan any important do’s in footy season. This will be hard for anyone who has his or her birthday between March and September however. I guess they will just have to arrange an alternate date:).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know Tim, not everyone's life revolves around your television habits. You can always tape a game and watch it later, but you can't make up for missing an important event in someone's life.

Sure it sucks watching a game when its already finished, but people can't be expected to figure out what everyone would like to watch on TV before planning a celebration.

Tim Haynes said...

I hear what you're saying Dave, but I'm referring to actually playing the game and having to miss out playing because of a party.

I've already freely sacrificed watching a TV game to go out and be sociable. I have no issues with doing that.

Anonymous said...

Thats fair enough. But i can tell you from experience that a wedding is hard enough to plan without putting everyone's sporting commitments into the bag too! Unless of course you are the person getting married in which case you should probably skip the sport. (note the use of the word 'probably')

Anonymous said...

hammer, you're so in trouble when I see you this weekend. I'm sure if the people who organised their weddings on YOUR night of night knew the SACRIFICE you had to make in order to honour them with your attendance, they wouldn't have put you in such a predicament, and saved their invitation for someone who didn't have to make such an honourable "sacrifice". BTW is there any difference between having the phone on silent or not? the sentiment that "there is something more important for me to be doing right now" is still there. NOW you've got me started!

Tim Haynes said...

Looks as if I may have offended all those who have planned wedding during the winter months. It may appear as I am trivialising the whole planning process. Apologies if anyone has been given that impression, at the moment I can only imagine how hard it is to put it all together.

And Kate, I think you're taking my whole dig to literally:)

Tim Haynes said...

Maybe I should just delete this post before I get into any more trouble. I had no idea it would get such a response.

Anonymous said...

That's it Hammer, I know where you live and I'm going to kill you in your sleep. I'm not sure why, but everything you have ever said suddenly offends me.

Sorry for pointing it out to kate in the lead up to your weekend in melbourne