Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Hamstrung

Hamstring, noun: group of muscles in the back of the thigh
Heartlage, noun: a supposed trivial injury, i.e. no heart
Hamstrung, verb: having a hamstring injury that is deemed to be a heartlage by team-mates

Very annoying and frustrating it is too. Team-mates tend to mistake a slight injury for not wanting to play. It is usually very much the opposite. It’s very frustrating to be watching team-mates play when injured.

I have been struggling with minor hamstring injuries for a few years now. I initially thought it started from when I did a gymnastics subject for University. The coach suggested we do this stretch everyday for a month and by the end we should be able to do the splits, regardless of our size. I though I’d test her out, but a few days later at training I twinged it for the first time.

However another thought has crossed my mind after hearing about the plight of Swans player Heath James. He has suffered 13 hamstring tears and it was thought that this was in some way due to the disproportionate strength between his quadriceps and hamstrings.

So if I am able to finally get some time when I don’t have to recover from hamstring strains I might be able to do something about that. But for now I guess I just have to put up with the supposed ironmen who are unbreakable. Pride comes before a fall a wise man once said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The hamstring is nothing compared to the dreaded ruptured testicle. and if you can play with that, you can play with a twinge in the hammy

Anonymous said...

eew pictures and eeew David too much detail :)