Friday, November 10, 2006

It’s a Big Place

While performing my job I am discovering a few things.

There is a lot of this city we call Sydney that I have never seen or even thought of going to visit. My driving partner mentioned a famous walk from Coogee to Bondi and I had never heard of it. Put in context he did live in Bondi for a period of time and I have lived nowhere near it for my entire life. But it still might be worth doing at some stage.


This led me to a crazy idea that maybe people should choose a random suburb to check out every now and then. Just walk around, check out the architecture, do some shopping, have a picnic in a local park and soak in a different kind of fresh air. This sort of activity is probably more suited to the spontaneous type, which is probably not me. Some early suggestions might include Bondi, Coogee, Leichhardt, Ryde, Eastwood and Epping. Just chosen randomly of course. Some research may be required to ensure no dodgy suburb is chosen at random.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good. I think the automobile means we don't walk around places as much, and we forget about how to wander and appreciate a place because you've walked through it. There's something funny about walking places instead of driving - I can't put my finger on it.

As for suburbs, Glebe is an interesting one. I would suggest none around the area in which I work - at least, not if you didn't have a burning desire to have your wallet nicked.