Monday, November 27, 2006

Reading the Bible

In Bible Study a while ago we completed the book “Postcard From Palestine.” It is a hands on guide to reading and using the bible. Upon commencement of this study I was a bit taken aback. I was reminded of HSC English and how I was supposed to read all those books that didn’t appeal to me at all. Extracting every ounce of meaning out of a piece of text was something I found difficult. I wasn’t inspired then to read the books and didn’t end up reading any of them. How I ended up passing the subject is beyond me (and Mum). York notes and Cliff’s notes were very sufficient.

All the books I had to read for Yr 11 and Yr 12 are:
  • Fringe of Leaves – Patrick White
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest – Ken Kesey
  • Pride & Prejudice – Jane Austin
  • Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy

Luckily for me, 3 out of the 4 books have been made into very good movies.

I have never been a big reader. I have 2 bookshelf units but the books that have been read fully would fill only one shelf. I must have a chronic condition. I might be reading a book but when I reach the end of the page I realise that I have been daydreaming the whole time. I would end up reading the same page 2 or 3 times before sometimes just giving up through obvious lack of interest.

So how does one get inspired to read the thickest book with the smallest writing and then understand it? Especially now that Postcards from Palestine recommends the use of other really thick books to help you (i.e. commentary, bible dictionary and multiple versions of the bible). It’s very intimidating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a HUGE advocate of people reading their bibles and praying. Anyone who says they don't have the time to read it essentially doesn't have time for God - and who would admit to that? the major difference to prescribed HSC texts is that the bible is a book you theoretically want to read and get into. Plus, if you're not a great reader, as long as you're consistent and getting something out of it, volume is not an issue. Take it in bite size pieces. How else are you meant to come and know the maker of the universe and proclaim to be in kahoots with him?

K8)