Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Race When I Slept

I don’t know why but this year I have taken a complete disinterest in the Melbourne Cup. Other years I have at least shown enough interest to want to spend some of my hard earned on a horse or in a sweep. I was actually trying to avoid it as much as possible. This is very hard when all forms of media are dominated by the horsy news, and everyone you bump into wants to ask you if you have a fave in the Cup. Even a lot of the Nursing Homes and Hospitals I went to during the day were having mini festivals with posters all over the place and all the ladies wearing hats. It was unavoidable.

At least I had control in whether I watched the race or not. I spent those few minutes laying down on the back seat of our van waiting to get a job dropped down. Unaware was I that the people at the board may have been slightly more interested than me and were watching the race instead of allocating jobs. It didn’t worry me, I just stayed in the back of the van until they were ready.

No comments: