Saturday, March 24, 2007

I Don’t Get People

This was a line spoken by Gil Grissom on CSI at the end of an episode featuring a very disturbing case. He refers to the people involved in the case he had to investigate. I use it to describe a whole different bunch of people.

I am referring to the people that vote on shows where the public popularly elects the winner. I don’t get these people because a lot of the time they have no idea. They wouldn’t know talent if it smacked them in the face. Mediocrity is celebrated while the real talent is pushed to the sides at the whims of serial texters.

Case Study 1: Dancing With The Stars

Dave the Cowboy is the worst dancer ever to be on the series, yet he is still in the competition 5 weeks on. Far better dancers have been voted out instead of him. This is simply a grouse injustice. Todd Woodbridge went last Tuesday after weeks of looking like he had the potential to win the whole competition. He was that good. It is not right that celebrities who can actually dance are voted out in place of people who can’t move their body at all. I don’t even know how Dave the Cowboy (I don’t think he has a last name) got his celebrity status. As far as I know he was on Big Brother and was openly gay the whole time and revealed his lover to all when he was voted out. What a moment that must have been. I’m sorry that I forgot to record that for posterity.

Other celebrities with no dancing capability include Molly Meldrum and Pauline Hanson. Both had a decent amount of success on the show. Pauline went all the way to the Grand Final. Luckily though, in the end I believe the rightful winner has always taken the trophy.

Case Study 2: Australian Idol 2004

Casey Donovan won Australian Idol when she was always destined to commercial failure. This was due to a variety of factors including her attitude, her appearance and well I don’t think she sang all that well anyway. It just seemed like she got the sympathy vote because of her challenging upbringing. It doesn’t surprise me that runner up Anthony Callea and fellow finalist Ricki Lee Coulter have made a better grab at it.

I don’t vote on such shows because I am not going to waste money voting 100’s of times to keep my favourite. That’s what it would take for me to make a difference because Dave the Gay Cowboy has groupies with twitchy fingers. The most I would vote would be once. While my one vote can make a difference in other elections, my one vote in these competitions is a waste. So I’ll just have to enjoy the dancing and hope that the public doesn’t vote out my favourite couple.


2 comments:

Elise Corless said...

"This is simply a grouse injustice"

Take up the fight and save the world from oppression by game birds!

Daniel said...

Jen knows Dave the cowboy's partner from High School. She's very stuck up. Apparently she hates him so much she's trying to "throw it" each week. I laugh every time he's not voted off!