Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Post Election

A few briefs thought on the election just gone.

Don’t Blame Me
I don’t want to hear anyone whinge about the poor performance of the State Govt anymore! It was made blatantly obvious that most people aren’t that concerned about the current state of affairs in NSW.

Compulsory Voting
As it appears that a lot of people don’t seem to care about who is in govt, there has been discussion on whether we really need voting to be compulsory. This might make the local MP’s actually work to earn your vote as they also have the added challenge of convincing you to vote in the first place.

Election Coverage
For some reason I tend to enjoy watching the election coverage. More so if Channel Nine are broadcasting (which they weren’t this time). I have watched for extended periods for the last few elections which date back to before I could even vote. ABC’s election coverage last Saturday was a bit boring, possibly because the result was a forgone conclusion by about 7.30pm.

I Have A Dream
I really don’t like being in what is considered a “safe electorate.” This basically means that no matter how bad the candidate is they will get in anyway. This may result in the MP going missing and not doing anything. To his credit though, our Federal MP does seem to be willing to dive into local issues. However, I hadn’t seen or heard anything from the new state Labor candidate. The first time I saw his face was on the ‘How to Vote’ sheet.

Advertising Campaigns
Negativity was coming from both sides. There could be debates on the legitimacy of each other’s claims in their respective forms of advertising, but these could go on for days. It’s not worth the debate as the race has been run and won. I’m unsure whether positivity will actually be able to win an election these days, which is sad. The most positive election ad that I have seen was for John Fahey, and he lost. So what’s the use when the smuttiest sort of advertising has a knack of capturing the attention of the electorate?


3 comments:

Elise Corless said...

From my perception, it seemed to me that the Liberal Party didn't particularly want to win this election. They did a lot of silly things that would obviously lose them many votes (e.g. promising to sack 20,000 public sector workers - I work for the RTA, I understand my bias here). I'm wondering if there is something happening in the next couple of years that would lose them a significant amount of popularity?

Tim Haynes said...

Yes Debnam did do some silly things, for example:
1. Alleging Bob Debus' involvement in a criminal investigation
2. Not attacking Morris Iemma personally, after all he has never had a 'real' job in his life
3. While I think it is a good idea to try and get rid of bureaucracies, it's probably not going to win elections promising to get rid of jobs.

Anonymous said...

Although our local members for state and federal are sometimes a given. As you are well aware the Senate works in a slightly different manner.

So in this regard our vote may not matter that much for the local
members who already have 70% of the local population voting for them
without thinking, however for the senate we can join together with other minority voters and get people like pauline hanson and fred nile into parliament.